Sunday, July 08, 2007

my class

This week marks my fourth week of prac. The last three weeks have been tiring and worthwhile. As usual, school starts at 7.30. By 6.30 i have to get my ass up already, fetching a taxi at 7, and arriving in school 15 minutes later.

Teaching 5P has never been so wonderful and great. From the first day i walked into this school, this class has never failed to be labelled as the low-proficiency class, the notorious class and the hopeless class.

Today, I can say that this class has been a wonderful class to me though not always. The students never fail me in doing what i expect of them. When I ask them to speak up, they at present will at least try and say something although it may take more than one minute for them to think. When I ask them to do homework, they would finish it immediately and eager to hand in before the end of period.

Over these few weeks, I begin to see changes in some students' attitude. There's this one boy who couldn't speak a word nor understand a word i said in the first week. Not only was he not trying to understand what i said, he didn't bother to listen. He would rather talk to his friend sitting next to him. Last Thursday, when i asked him why he liked the cricket than the ants in the story of 'The ant and the cricket', he answered, 'because...[30 seconds later]... he can sing'. Immediately i praised him in front of the class. And there he was, giving me a big smile. :D that's a little accomplishment from my students.

Yet, language is not learnt overnight. There are challenges ahead of me. What i have accomplished at the moment is simply to inspire them n their interest to want to learn the language.

What is lacking is the learning opportunities to further develop their language. This group that i am teaching, they are deprived of a family background that will ever encourage them to learn, not to mention speak in English. So, besides making sure that my lesson plan does not bore them excessively (language learning is NOT always fun k! u need to PUSH them!), I need to make sure that the students get ample homework to practise their English, particularly grammar.

July Monthly Test is coming up end of this month!!! i have a high expectation for them. i want all of them to pass though i know at the end of the day, i am thinking of the impossible! The last mid-year exam, only 5 of 20 of them passed! This time around, i want to make CHANGES yo! This coming week and next week, i will make extensive grammar learning with them! Mind you, none of them can write a perfect simple sentence, i.e. I go to school.

One problem about family who doesn't care much about their kid's education is that they don't mind whether the kid goes to school or not. Having a simple cold means my kid doesn't have to attend class today already. Mannn... this is not good. I wish i can talk to the kid's parents.

Yet, my conversations with some of my students largely showed that their parents are too busy working outside, as factory labourer, fruit seller, security guard and postman.

I have to think of strategies how to attract my students to come to class. Any suggestion guys? talking to the particular student right? i am doing that now...

Learning English is not fun, but Mr Ling can make a difference!

Way to go!

Wish me luck...

2 Comments:

At 5:34 PM , Blogger clement said...

cikgu ling... ha ha, are u going to go back sibu to teach?

 
At 7:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha... not sure. Let's see where God is placing me to serve Him.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home