Thursday, December 14, 2006

Tug-o-war

What is a tug-o-war?
A tug-o-war, or more often referred to as a tug-of-war is a type of sport in which two teams show their strength by pulling against each other at the opposite ends of a rope, and each team tries to pull the other over a line on the ground.

When I first read WYD08 ePilgrimage Oct06 a week ago, I came across an article that spoke about 'life on earth can often be a struggle'. It was a good article but somehow i don't think i was taken aback by it, considering how my life's been stuffed with the downs lately. I don't mean my life has always been the downs, instead i mean mine brings its own special challenges and obstacles along with all sorts of joys and happiness that He has promised us.

With the homecoming of a prodigal son (exaggerating bit), i cannot tell you how shock and surprise my two parents are. They are astounded to the many things that has happened to me. One is physical changes that i've brought within these two years: getting slimmer (plz don't say thin), tanner, taller (Finally, i'm as tall as my father), ear pierced, and my 'botak' hair. Second is the mental and psychological changes i brought. I don't think they were too surprised with this, simply because the verdict has reveiled: Anonymous, one who has consistently left honest and wise advice happens to be my mum. Lols. Biribiri's speculation was right. Thank you.

Over the past few days, i have been occupied with many duties. There are not big. Nor do they pay me a cent upon their completion. But i got the chance to see the real world, the reality of the society and more importantly, to see my purpose in the society: where I'm at, and where I'm heading. These all fascinate me: both bright and ugly sides. Communicating with people older than me like my parents, cousins and close relatives got me realized the shallowness of my experience and knowledge. Like what olders like to say to the young, "I have eaten more salt than you eat rice". Truly, i have enjoyed listening to them, at the same time, considering and thinking over what they've said and taking those applicable. One legendary once said, "Only a fool learns from his own experience, smart people learn from others".

Lately, i have been thinking about my passion. There is a passion inside me that is burning like a fire. Yet, i can't be very sure what it is. As much as i think that my passion is about that something, I am interested in the other thing as well. Just as i go more deeply into thinking about these two things, reality strikes. BANG!!! As Anas once said jokingly, "reality hurts". Though he mentioned it in a joking manner, there is some truths in it. Yet, both of us always used to laugh our ways off it.

I believe, in every human being, especially as one grows older, there will always be internal tussles with temptations, confusion and desire. and for this reason, there is a Tug-o-war going on inside us, which if not solved effectively, can lead to unhealthy internal and external breakdown and tension! Like what Fr. Anthony in ePilgrimage Oct 06 said, "As people mature and advance in the spiritual life, they often experience these internal and external stresses all the more strongly." I think this is very true. And, i am going through this process.

But we are not alone. God, his angels and saints and his Church are there at our side to protect us, heal us, give us direction and strength. Whatever our struggles, we need never be overwhelmed. As Jesus taught us, God's grace is so great he can dispel our difficulties with a flick: "by the finger of God I cast out demons" (Lk 11:20)
Anthony Fisher OP (ePilgrimage Oct06 WYD)

"You did not choose me; I chose you and appointed you to go and bear much fruit, the kind of fruit tht endures. And so the Father will give you whatever you ask of him in my name." (Jn 15:16)

4 Comments:

At 1:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) you're welcomed.

good to hear that you are coping well.

gambate ne! (^^)9

God...is with you...Immanuel...

 
At 1:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

He....he...he...:)
I hope u are not too disappointed with your discovery!

 
At 11:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to pass on to u what I have received:
The road to success is not straight..
There is a curve called failure,
- a loop called confusion,
- speed bumps called bad friends,
- red lights called enemies,
- caution called family,
- flat tyre called jobs..
But if you have...
- a spare wheel called determination,
- an engine called perseverance,
- insurance called faith,
- a driver called GOD,
You will make it to a place called SUCCESS.
Happy reading!

 
At 6:09 PM , Blogger Kenny said...

amazing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home