Sunday, April 01, 2007

cough

I have been coughing badly for almost three weeks now. Having tried three to four types of different medication, I thought it would subside. But that wasn't the case. It seemed like the moment i swallowed the syrup, i coughed even more badly. For almost 2 weeks, this has caused a great uncomfort and inconvenience for me. I attended my Majlis MPP with a non-stop cough, talked to my friends with a hand closing my mouth and had a husky voice everytime i talked.

Really, this cough in which i never experienced before has drained my confidence in doing anything. Sometimes i would feel headache when forcing myself to think too much. Sleeping is the hardest thing to do during this few weeks. Very often, i would have unstoppable cough for around 3o minutes before i sleep. And i don't like it at all. as a result, i ended up not doing anything. Thank God, last week, I didn't have to hand up any assignment which requires a lot of brain working.

Then on Thursday, after a tiring day of Kejohanan Olaraga Tahunan IPBA, after a tablespoon of cough syrup plus an afternoon nap, I coughed badly. As usual, the cough was dry and frequent. Then, my nightmare daunt on me that I suspected myself of having a Tuberculosis (TB). I asked my roommate, and he suggested me to go for a checkup. Immediately, i went to my fren's room to find out more about TB is on Wikipedia. The possible symptoms of TB which are relatively similar to mine are chest pain, chill, night sweat, 2-3 weeks of cough. BADDDDDDD!!!

(Doreen & I)

I called upon my junior, Ashes who has always been there to help me whenever i have trouble, to get a bike. He got a bike, but couldn't accompany me. Instead, Nigel, another junior of mine, accompanied me there. Arriving there, the nurses told me to come the next day as the clinic is closed in the afternoon. That night, my mind was filled with the idea that i am having TB, and my time might be up soon as dreamt. :p Some friends asked me what sickness i had, and i 'cleverly' told them that i am having a TB. Their faces immediately changed, with expression of disbelief or shock or even worried.

(Ashes and me)
On early Friday morning, as it was a cuti peristiwa, I brought along Nigel to UM hospital to teman me. He agreed. The process to get a doctor took around 1 hour. Then, i had my x-ray which caused me to wait for another hour. After a long 4-hour in the hospital, the x-ray result was out. My lung is alright, my throat is clear, my blood pressure is normal and most importantly, I DON'T HAVE TUBERCULOSIS! thank God!

so what has happened to me? apparently, it's something to do with the flu i had in me which remained inside me which result in allergy. It's something like there's fluid or liquid or phlegm inside my nose dripping down my lung and irritates my lung. This in effect causes my lung to react and cough. What's wrong with my cough syrup? there's nothing wrong with my medicine. It's just that the medicine has not effect on the allergy. therefore, i see no effect upon drinking the syrup.

Now that i am feeling much better, i have to thank Nigel and Ashes for being so helpful to accompany me to UM hospital. Not only that, they have helped me got a bike which made my journey there way more convenient, without having to take taxi or bus. Also, i have to thank all my friends who have showed much concern for me. Your messages are very much appreciated.

Of all my friends i have told, i didn't inform her about my suspicion of getting a TB. It questioned me at first whether i should or should not tell her about this. After having to consider the factor of her being busy and concentrate in her studies, i decided not to tell her. Not only was i not sure i am getting a TB, i don't want her to feel worried about me which might lower her concentration. But, she is well informed of it now.

Now that i am gradually getting better, she on the other hand is suffering from cough and cold. I know it's going to be hard on her. Overcoming it is not going to be easy, especially when it can have an psychological effect on one person. I hope she's doing fine there. hopefully and prayfully, she is recovering in great speed ('speedy recovery' she called it). And God will heal her cough quickly and give her the strength to work on what she has to accomplish. Amen!

2 Comments:

At 11:00 AM , Blogger glo teng said...

NICKY!! AAHH! you thinking too much lar!!!!! alamak!!!! i dunno whether to laugh or cry now :p like the chinese saying: ku xiao bu de... :p you should have told me earlier mar.. bler.. coz i totally have gone thru what you have gone thru, and also know what to do and can recommend you adoctor to see if you wan :p bler. never mind ler.. as long as you are getting better :)

you know, the cough you are facing... it's... it's... quite common in malaysia. ok, maybe KL :p urm urm, coz of the weather and air pollution and stress and this and that, and ya, like what you said, the remnants of flu causing the phlegm to irritate your throat and all. What you are experiencing now is similar to what i've faced 2-3 years ago. At that time, almost once or twice every year, i coughed like what you did. the worst cough i had lasted THREE months. In the end, we went to consult a very good doctor who gave me some really good prescription to strengthen my lungs. and with lotsa water and precautions and proper eating,from then on, i seldom get this kind of cough.

i know it sure is the most horrible feeling on earth! cough until cannot sleep, every time cough sure sakit throat and sakit chest or this and that.. zongzhi very sien one.. and ya, like what you say, really can affect a person's emotional health and all.

anyway, am real glad that you are feeling much better now, both psychologically and mentally :)

but but but, how come you had this suspicion that it is TB one?...

anyway, talking about TB... i've a friend here who has TB. she coughed badly, had weight loss over a period of few months. her chest X-ray showed 3 'holes'. and and, she was in hospital for 2 full weeks. and and, even though she's discharged from hospital, stil cannot go uni and still need go hospital for several tests and all. every morning she has to take medication, for 6 months...

there are 2 types of TB- latent and active. latent is when you have the bacteria but it has not manifest yet, neither will it spread, and there will be no symptoms whatsoever. Active is the teruk one lar.

Anyway, now, her flatmates and close contacts have to go for a Mantoux skin test to check if they got the TB thing. i also was called for the skin test, so far result is negative. but after 8-10 more weeks, i need to do again. 2 more of my other friends were asked to go for chest X-ray... so ler.. hehe.. so i will worry abt that 8-10 weeks later :p

pelik-ly, the day before i went to confirm my skin test, i also had a dream that i got TB.. bler.. then i cry o. xixi. but now, i have faith that i'm healthy and good and all.. so i shall face the next skin test with confidence that God is looking after me ^_^

anyway, Nicky, next time dun think too much k? :) if suspect anything, do share with your friends or seek advice from professional or people with experience. make urself so tension for few days..kesian nia.. :) u ar... pelik2... *hugs*

ps: i'm getting better. i fell sick coz my flatmate sick, my coursemate sick, virus everywhere, i slept at 4am, weather change drastically, and i naughty :p and yalo, at night paling hard to sleep coz the nose keep running.. and cough cough.. but nvm lar. i wil be fine. it's just my headaches and giddyness tat's annoying me. anyway, thanks for your prayers. hope you GET WELL SOON! :) drink lotsa lotsa water, dun eat oily/fried food, dun drink cold water... hehe.. u noe what to do lar.. ^_^ tk cr! :D

 
At 12:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

nicky, u gave me the shock of my life (almost!) when u told me u had TB. am glad you are free of TB...=) take care coz i think the whole peninsular malaysia of you! wakakakaka...

-popo-

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home