Sunday, April 06, 2008

My First Graduation

This is the day. This is the day to celebrate. The day I have been waiting for months and even years.

5½ years ago, I didn’t visualize I would go on the stage to receive my scroll, nor did I expect the outcome of my achievement would turn out to be as such.

But today, dream is no longer just a dream. The dream which was once thought impossible has now come true. It’s like a dream come true, like what people say.

*I received my bunch of graduation flowers*

Today, I attended my graduation ceremony in Nikko Hotel, Kuala Lumpur. It was great to be able to celebrate my graduation in this 5-Star hotel. And it is definitely greater to celebrate it with my parents and friends. But, to me, the greatest reason to be at this ceremony is to witness and celebrate what may seem to be an impossible-dream-come-true journey.

As the clock slowly ticked 12 noon, 18 of our Cohort 1 QUT have made it to arrive with their elegant looks together with their parents and closed ones. They too came to take pride of their sons and daughters' achievement on this grand day.

Many of us were excited to see each other, especially when none of us is transferred to the same school. That gave us more reasons to talk, share experiences, not forgetting gossip. All of us have changed, one way or another, physically or mentally. Some got taller, some got slimmer. But all of them were looking great.

*All well-dressed: Anas, Ah po, Chewy, Hani & I*

Then, it was time to dress up. When it was my turn to put on my regalia, I could just sense this feeling of pride and bliss. I felt like I have now graduated and that I am a grown up now. No longer am I a small kid anymore, depending on others or seeking for troubles. Then looking at others who already have their regalia on, their faces were filled with joy, happiness and a sense of achievement. We smiled, laughed and took photos together.

*With our regalia on: Me, Hani, Anas & Sawittri*

*With Smilley Faces: Chewy, Me & Po*


When it was time for the ceremony to begin, we walked into the hall slowly, acknowledging that this is our day of achievement and success. Over 100 audiences were there to greet and applause us as we walked in.

During the ceremony, we have short speech from Vice Chancellor, a Ph.D doctorate and Datin. The atmosphere then was simply solemn and grand. It was simply phenomenal and nerve-wracking that I couldn’t focus on what they said. My mind was already on the receiving scroll part.

Then it was time to walk up the stage to receive our scroll from our Vice Chancellor. When my name was mentioned, I walked up onto the stage, doffed my square hat as a sign of respect, shake his hand firmly, and receive my certificate. And he congratulated me.

The ceremony finished as long as the speeches and the receiving of the certificates were over. It was then time for light refreshment and photo taking. I had the chance to take picture with all the deans and Vice Chancellor. Most importantly, I got to take picture together with Dr. Jo.

*A photo with the Big Heads*

*With my most inspiring lecturer: Dr. Jo Carr*


Reflecting on this ceremony, I realized that though my journey for my Degree programme has ended, my journey is not over yet. There are still many journeys and roads ahead. And I myself am responsible of continuing on this journey of mine. And I shall take whatever that is good with me in this journey ahead. And indeed, this graduation will serve as a stepping stone for me to pursue what I want be in future.

Secondly, I realized that friends come and go. Many of us are now walking a different path – their own paths. And though many of us are starting off as teachers now, 20 years from now, I believe not many of us will remain in this teaching line. Some may leave while some may pursue higher position and education. Whatever it is, once we are friends, we will always remain as friends. And though we may be far apart, in our hearts, we still know we will be there for each other when there’s trouble.

This graduation opens my eyes that I am no longer a student. And that I am slowly entering young adulthood, which means more responsibilities, more things to think, more things to consider, and more decisions to be made.

Let’s hope that this graduation will not be the last, but be the encouraging experience to greater achievements.

5 Comments:

At 1:04 AM , Blogger Yuen said...

gratz!!!

 
At 8:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome ey nick1 will blog about it soon. great post! touching! *sniff* ah po

 
At 4:31 AM , Blogger Jarod Yong said...

Woohoo!
The QUT graduation ceremony!

I'm Looking forward to your 31 May one organised by IPBA!
We party after that ya~~
=D

 
At 10:18 PM , Blogger Nicky said...

Yuen: Thank you. Look 4ward to your graduation too next year.

Anonymous: Thanks.

Ah^kam koko': Great. We surely go party after that. :)

 
At 7:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God, you've grown. And I'm sure with God to guide you always in whatever you do, I trust you won't fall too badly along the way of life's journey. This is just the beginning, nik. You've still got a long way to go, a lot of things to learn or unlearn before you can be a better man. In everything, there is always the pros & the cons. If u always look at the pros, learn from the cons & keep close to God, then
you won't get bruised too much.


Anyway, my heartiest congrats to you on your achievement. You deserve it & may you have many more to come.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home