Tuesday, July 25, 2006

working life

Yesterday, after my first gym lesson, i got a miss call from my friend, whose name is Nicholas, but his surname is Ong. A few months ago, while i was chatting with him, he told me that he'll be finishing his Degree Programme as an Architect soon. I was happy for him, and what makes it even happier is the fact that he has accepted a job which is in Brisbane. So, we exchanged phone number; and here he was, calling me when i was doing the stupid aerobic. We managed to talk, and agreed to meet up at Hungry Jack (Queens Street Mall).

We went for chinese dinner, somewhere along Albert Street. The food price there was kinda affordable as compared to those at Chinatown. We ordered a Chicken with Cashew Nut, and a Mongolian Lamb. Besides having our lovely food, he shared with me how his job life has been, his social life has been, and the goal he longed to achieve. I was kinda fascinated and pleased at his life progress. At one point, he told me that he's promoted to be a designer and not an artist drawing, where both of them are actually the responsibilities of an architect. A designer is ranked higher and needs plenty of experience than an artist because, of the pride that you hold when you can proudly announce that the building is designed by you; whereby an artist basically draw what a designer sketches, using computers.

Tonight, one of my friends asked me if i still remember Zi Neng, who used to be my ex-classmates. She told me that he is now a married guy with a wife with 2 kids. i was not surprised because, the last time i heard about him - last year, he's got a wife and a kid. Now, with an age of nearly approaching 23 years old, he is a fully grown-up adult with a proper family. And, i can see from his blog that he's now busy finding money, supporting not only himself, but also his family.

Reflecting on the two cases, i noticed that in many ways, I am slowly entering a new and foreign dimension of working life. I used to think that we can choose not to work until we are 25 or 26 of age, yet i can't deny the fact that the working life is there waiting for me, sooner or later. One of my friends used to tell me, instead of escaping your working life to studying, why can't you start working earlier, facing the world ahead of you.

Come to think of it, in 1 year time, or probably 17 months time, i will officially finish my university life, walking into an adult world, becoming a teacher. A teacher? Is becoming a teacher my dream, my goal, my purpose in life? I don't know. If i have a second chance, I would have chosen something else. Choosing another different subject after my degree programme will probably take another 3-4 years to finish, which means that i might start working at the age of 27 or 28 yo. I wonder how long i still want to study before i start working?

Undertaking this course has been a challenge for me. Choosing to teach English is not something i am confident in. I used to think that i am not intelligent in the language, therefore, those results in IPBA were kinda shitty. However, i pledged to change my perception towards teaching English by getting good results. Yet, good results do not convince me that i'll be a good language teacher. They say, what makes the difference between a doctor and a teacher is that, a teacher typically gets the toughest assingments/management in the beginning of her career; while a doctor do not start with the most complicated cases; instead, he works with the easiest cases and work his way up. Think about it...

Luckily i have a good lecturer telling me that maybe next time, i will be an educationist. Hmm, an educationist who alters the country's policy and curriculum doesnt sound too bad. Interesting.

Yet, what's still left inside of me is the passion for engineering and architecture which have been my dreams since i was young. Therefore, i am still left contemplating......

*One solution/belief i have always hold: Just go with the flow. Engage in the presence; and believe in the future.

Sleeping time~~~

10 Comments:

At 8:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Hmm, an educationist who alters the country's policy and curriculum doesnt sound too bad. Interesting."

that's good.

"Yet, what's still left inside of me is the passion for engineering and architecture which have been my dreams since i was young. Therefore, i am still left contemplating......"

u never know. u r still young, not old (*winks*). if u have faith, somehow, your dream might come true. ya, though it may take a longer time. but hey, God always has His way, and His timing always perfect...press on there my dear friend! :)

 
At 3:47 PM , Blogger Jarod Yong said...

We both hav dreams outside of wad we r studying...
I wana start a business...
make it successful, then sell it & do some other business.
A businessman...

rather than let my current situation discourage me...
i choose to giv my heart's desire to God & trust Him 2 materialise the opportunities!

Now that's the difference between a Christian & non-Christian... Expectation of the BEST!

Matthew 6:33
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

 
At 2:20 AM , Blogger Uncle Shawn said...

new shoes u use in gym??

 
At 12:29 PM , Blogger Nicky said...

yeah... it's specially allocated for gym purposes... lols... outdoor got outdoor shoes mah...

 
At 1:43 PM , Blogger Kenny said...

wow, u seemed to use Japanese blogger website. You want to become an engineer, that's going to make mom and dad worried that they have chosen the wrong course for you. Anyway come to think of it, they have other plan for you, not just as a teacher but also... you know what I mean. So try to equip with "that" knowledge in order to become a successful ---.

 
At 9:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there fellas. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been searching as far as something that exact brand. The prices as regards the boots were approximately 330 dollars everwhere. But for all I base this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what can you tell me about these?

 
At 10:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching as far as something that meticulous make. The prices for the shoes are approximately 190 bucks on every site. But finally I set this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase them. what can you tell me about these?

 
At 9:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

 
At 11:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there people. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching allowing for regarding that singular model. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers were approximately 180 bucks on every site. But completely I found this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order those. what is your opinion?

 
At 4:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

good evening ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching for the sake of that particular make. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers are all over 330 pounds on every page. But finally I found this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order those. what is your opinion?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home