Saturday, May 19, 2007

making choices

Life is about making choices. Every minute and second of the day, we are called to make choices. Some choices are big which may change our life forever while some are small which might bring us little disappointment even if they fail. But what more important is the question of whether the choices that we make make us feel good about our present situation or make us feel good about our life in long run despite us knowing what lies ahead may not be easy and simple.

I don't know about you guys out there, but i have been through the consequences of 'easy' solution and 'difficult' situation.

The past few months have been busy for me. I did not have time for blogging, neither did i have time to think twice of what I am doing. All i know is that i have to get things (in which i mean assignment) done by the due date. One of the things i thought was that after the exam, i would want to blog as many as i can, finish reading Nelson Mandela biography 'a road to freedom' and to do things that bring meaning to my life.

However, it did not turn out such way. Immediately after my final exam paper on Assessment in School, I spent few hours in the college canteen talking, chit chatting and expressing how grateful i was to have finish the last exam paper for my Degree programme. Indeed, all the things i did then made me feel so good about myself. Coming back home, life became more luxurious and easy when I dreamed of playing Cricket game which i was dying to play. Quickly, i dragged my laptop onto my bed, and spent hours playing it. I was supposed to sleep at that time, but my mind was too excited and busy about the game that i just didn't want to drop it.

However, around 4 something, something came. A message from Ignatius came informing me that there would be a CG gathering of Bible Study that night. I ignored the message the first time i read it. Putting the phone aside, i continued playing. it was until 5 something that another thing struck me suddenly. I was surfing on the Internet when suddenly i was put with the question, 'what are you doing?' i was brought back to witness every single thing i did after the examination: the canteen, the Cricket and the movie.

I opened the message again. This time i realize i need to make the right choice: to go or not to go, to spend my evening with meaningless activities or to spend my evening with something of meaning. Of course at that time, i have reasons and excuses to back my decision of not going as something meaningful. But i knew the thing i get at the end of the day would be better than the earlier.

Looking back on this example, i realize that we all do not just make choices, choices determine the kind of life we will have. And once we make a decision, that's us who is making the decision, not others.

We determine our own destiny by making the right decision. And if we don't make conscious choices, we may not even reach the goal that we have predetermined. Yet, conscious decisions are not easily attained. A big or major choice requires conscious and careful consideration of praying, meditating and spending more silent time with ourselves.

Whatever the decision, always remember to 'keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side, keep on the sunny side of life'.

3 Comments:

At 8:38 PM , Blogger glo teng said...

i'm glad you made the right choice ;)

 
At 5:50 PM , Blogger Poh Lin said...

i know exactly wht u r saying...you are not the only one...i am facing it too!no matter continually make the right choices! god bless ah nick

 
At 9:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

so glad u linked me. been reading yr stuff.like it. hi.I am bengbeng.We e r now blogger friends :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home