Saturday, November 29, 2008

I need a mentor(s)

Somehow, along the journey of my life, I need to have a mentor(s) who can help me and give me good advice in making informed judgment and decision.

I think the need for a good mentor is important in one's life as the old saying goes, 'no man is an island'. I'd like to think of this as the need of human to have some forms of healthy dependence on others, not on their material possessions, but on their useful helpful words/lessons which inspire us to grow in greater knowledge and wisdom.

I know having a good mentor is necessary because I used to have one before, and it was a great one.

She was my coordinator back in my university. She knew my English was extremely weak but she never discouraged me from improving. She used to tell me once that I was the only guy that handed in not one but two drafts. *and she smiled* That got me more enthusiastic about learning the language. As years gone by, she helped me through my low moment when I failed my Children Literature. She was there in her office whenever I dropped by her office.

When I was out of ideas, she showed me new directions. She has an open mind and ears which listen to my whinge and worries. When I was not confident with my own abilities, she always said, 'You can do it, Nicky.' 'Just do it.' (like what Nike says) And that brings the best out of me when the best is still far from over.


She is more than a mentor and a coordinator to me. She's a great person. And her name is Jo Carr.

This is why I said I need a mentor. I am not sure if the word advisor can be a substitute for mentor, considering its jargon like financial advisor, political economic advisor, and perhaps teaching advisor? education advisor?

Sometimes (if not most), even the world greatest people have mentors from whom they learn to develop their potentials, like Warren Buffet (Benjamin Graham), Tiong Hiew King (a timber tycoon working for his uncle until 41yo), and Donald Trump (his father, Fred Trump).

6 Comments:

At 6:47 PM , Blogger Poh Lin said...

i need a mentor to nick! someone who will knock some senses into me and someone who supports me all the way!but the question is...where do i find this earthly mentor?

 
At 6:54 PM , Blogger Nicky said...

haha.. thanks for te quick comment.. it's never easy to find a good mentor, tat's y i put it up in facebook.. mane tau ade orang boleh jadi gua punye mentor? hahaha.. tis sounds vy vy vy silly..

anyway, it's not easy to find a good mentor. i dunno too.. u got any idea?

 
At 4:33 PM , Blogger Jarod Yong said...

wow~~
Your mentor is really great!

Thinking about it, it seems that lecturers overseas want to encourage you to achieve the unachievable while lecturers here in Malaysia want you to stop your foolish pursuits...

All the best in finding a mentor!
Do remember to be a mentor to those who need you~~
=)

 
At 3:50 PM , Blogger Nigel J. W. Ong said...

oi! nicky how are you?
im picking cherries in NZ leh now..
took ur advice to go look for seasonal work.
so far work everyday, 8 hours shift. wan die liao...

 
At 4:01 AM , Blogger The Skatemusicianer said...

Jo Carr..hmm I saw her comment your facebook! aha..

 
At 2:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mentors are there. I have lots of mentors, but they never know who I am. Advice is everywhere, it's up to us to find them, not the other way round.

-cK-

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home